For most homeowners, the key to the gatehouse is the only thing standing between them and a safe, secure home. But for many people, this key can become a huge security risk. This is because many gatehouse locks are easy to pick. In fact, the average pick-resistant lock has been compromised in less than 10 seconds. This means that you could lose access to your home in a matter of minutes. If you’re one of those people who still relies on a traditional keyed lock for your gatehouse, it’s time to rekey your lock.
How to rekey a gatehouse lock?
Step 1: Remove the lock from the door: If the lock is not on the door, remove it. This is usually easy because most gatehouses have a hole where the lock screws into the door.
Step 2: Remove the lock from the doorframe: If the lock is not in the door frame, remove it. It’s usually a little bit harder to do this. You may need to use a drill and a screwdriver to get it out.
Step 3: Re-key the lock: Now that you have the lock out of the door, you can re-key it. There are different methods for re-keying a lock. Try to find a method that is easy for you to do.
Things to consider while rekeying a gatehouse lock
1. Consider the size of the keyhole: The first thing you’ll need to consider is the size of the keyhole. You’ll want to make sure that the keyhole is big enough for you to insert a key.
2. Make sure the lock has a mechanism: You’ll also want to make sure that the lock has a mechanism. This will ensure that you can open the lock from the inside.
3. Consider the material of the lock: You’ll want to make sure that the lock is made from a strong material. You’ll also want to make sure it’s easy to operate and that you can find a replacement if it breaks.
4. Consider the lock’s location: You’ll also want to make sure that you’re considering the location of the lock. You’ll want to make sure that you’re not going to damage the lock by placing it in a high traffic area.
5. Consider the security of the lock: You’ll also want to make sure that you’re considering the security of the lock. You’ll want to make sure that the lock is well-protected. This will help you avoid any unwanted visitors.
6. Consider the safety of the lock: You’ll also want to make sure that you’re considering the safety of the lock. You’ll want to make sure that you’re not going to be exposed to any unnecessary risks.
In conclusion, In order to rekey a gatehouse lock, you need to use a different key. The first step is to remove the old lock from the door. Next, you need to take the new lock apart and remove the pins from the old lock. Then you need to replace the pins with the new lock. Finally, you need to reassemble the lock and reattach it to the door.