Four million peoples already lost electricity across the south during the winter weather emergency. According to CNN WEATHER, about 78 million Americans are still under a winter storm threat. Many people are still fighting to survive in their own homes. Meanwhile, freezing temperatures continue to burst pipe across the state flooding people’s homes.
The crisis is worse than the previous storms. The heating system doesn’t work without electricity. People who don’t have installed backup power generators are dying to stay warm. Hence, 38 people died nationwide from frigid conditions in the last few days.
Summary of Contents
Tips To Preparing For A Winter Weather Emergency
So you got to get ready, therefore you need to do a lot of things for preparing for a winter weather emergency.
Weather-Proof Your Home
Firstly, You have to find out all the gaps in your home and you must apply weather striping on those gaps. If your home is new however often has cracks around the windows and doors. Therefore you have to apply weather stripping around your windows and doors. Cover the windows with plastic from the inside. How to detect leaks?
- Turn off the ac unit.
- Close windows and doors.
- Turn on bath fans and stove vents.
- Check for leaks using incense.
- Caulk the leaks.
Cut Away The Tree Branches
If you have big branches trees around your home, it could fall on your home during the winter storm. It can damage your roof consequently and this can be a big risk for the life of your family. So you should cut away the closest branches.
Food And Water Backup
If your power goes out however the water pump won’t work. Make sure you have some fresh water stored up in clean containers if the electricity goes out. Store at least five days’ worth of water in your underground basement. If possible make sure you store enough food at least for one week. You will never regret having it in your store. This is like insurance, if you store enough food you can help your poor neighbor.
Best Power Generator For Home Electricity Backup
What are your heat sources? But what happens if the electricity went out like the Texas situation. You need a backup to run your heating system or to pump water. Consequently, this is really a life-saving decision to install a standby generator. Read more about the best power generator for your home.
Create An Kit In Your Car For Preparing For A Winter Weather Emergency
It is important to have some type of kit in your car for an emergency situation when you are traveling or stuck in the middle of a storm. According to the centers for disease control and prevention (CDC), there is a suggested list of kits you must keep in your car. Consequently, if you’re stuck in your car, you will need this specific list…
- You must have a few extra batteries and a power bank for your mobile phones.
- Most importantly, the essential one is winter apparel to stay warm such as towels, extra coats, and blankets.
- You must keep a battery-operated flashlight for an emergency situation. So that you don’t have to use your cell phone battery for light.
- Keep some dry foods, water, and protein bars for preparing for a winter weather emergency.
- Emergency flares for the rescue situation.
- Keep a can and a waterproof lighter to survive. Firstly a Can can be used for melting ice. Secondly, you need a lighter to heat the can and to light up the flare.
- Always keep some cash for this kind of pandemic because ATM will be disabled if the power goes out.
- A first aid kit is basic and the most important essential for preparing for a winter weather emergency.