Whole grain is nice for those who are on a diet program. The germ, barn, and endosperm as its components remain intact so that all the nutrients are well-kept. Protein, fiber, B vitamins, zinc, copper, magnesium and antioxidant are all nutrients packed in whole grains. However, germ and barn cause lot of people do not like to consume whole grain which doesn’t taste good. Here are tips on how you can add whole grains into your weight loss programs:
- Replace all your refined products with whole grains such as replace white rice with brown rice.
- If the first tip is hard to do, try mixing grains in your dishes.If whole grains like oats and brown rice do not sound good at first, start by mixing them with the one you normally use. As you get used to them, you’ll gradually replace your first grains with 100% whole grains.
- Try to make a pancake, or muffin using whole wheat instead of flour.
- Combine your omelet with oats. You can add honey, fruit and cinnamon to your omelet. This maybe a new menu but it is nice to try.
- Snack on popcorn with no salt or butter between meals or while you are enjoying your time watching
- Snack on biscuits or cookies made from oats. Add raisins for fruity taste.
- Mix barley into your soup. It can be vegetable soup or beef soup.
If you are still confused about making whole grain menu, don’t worry. Whole grains are not just whole wheat, corn, barley and oats. There are many kinds of whole grain you should know about. They are:
- Whole-grain corn
- Whole oats/oatmeal
- Brown rice
- 100% whole wheat flour
- Whole rye
- Whole-grain barley
- Wild rice
- Bulgur (cracked wheat)
Make sure you include them into your menu. If you are bored with a kind of whole grain, try the other one on another day.
Your children also need to eat whole grains
Build a good habit for children to eat whole grain from early childhood. As they recognize the whole grain’s taste since they are kids, they may not be surprised eating whole grain when they are older. Here are some steps you may concern:
- As a role model to your children, give them example of eating whole grain every day. When you all are having breakfast together, have whole grains as the menu.
- Ask them to read labels on a food package while you are having shopping time with your children. A good whole grain product always includes “Whole Grain Stamp” or “100% Whole Grain” on its package. However, a product with “Whole Grain Stamp” sometimes could be high in calories, fat, or sodium.
- Invite them to make a whole grain snack with you. By doing this, you actually do two good things. First thing is introducing the whole grain to your children. Second one is making a healthy snack for your family.